Sunday, August 5, 2012

Every splash of the way.

"I can swim circles around this Phelps character."
"Highly unlikely."
"I can dog paddle circles around him! I can! I can!"
"Again. Unlikely."
"You don't believe me?"
"Finnie, your're terrified of water. Remember the swimming pool incident of '06?"
His ears flattened. His glance went sideways. Oh. She would bring THAT up. "It was a momentary panic! You went underwater and I thought you were never coming back!"
"You were flailing. I had to rescue you. I still have the scratches to prove it. No. I think swimming is not your sport."
An outraged Corgi is an amusing sight to behold. Four stubby legs suddenly squared off, matched by that singular penetrating stare. She grinned.
He was incredulous. "I'll have you know that in the very first Olympics Corgis took the Gold in ALL swimming events. We can dog paddle like nobody's business."
"The very first Olympics did not have Corgis."
"Where's your proof, Woman?" He barked.
"Proof? Oh...wait...let me think about this one for a moment." She tapped her forehead and pursed her lips, feigning serious thought. Then she snapped her fingers and smiled, "Oh, yes! I read it on the internet!"
She left the room. Laughing. But he trotted after her, not to be outdone.
"You did not! I was there! I swam against the Muses. I beat them fair and square."
She bent down and traced the ski strip running from forehead to nose tip. She smiled. She smooched him between the ears where his red fur was softest. He melted. He laid down. He licked the tip of her nose.
"Ok. Ok. You're forgiven. Can we have treats now?" He asked.
"And what treats would my little Olympian like today?"
"I want one of those sammiches Michael Phelps eats...."
She plunked down onto the floor beside him and they both started laughing. They debated the merits of turkey on whole wheat or roast beef and provolone. They decided on bacon and turkey. She got up to go get her car keys, but turned a second later and looked down at him, her expression serious this time.
"Finnie?"
"What?"
"I believe you could out dog paddle Michael Phelps. And I would be there cheering you on, every splash of the way."
He smiled, "I love you too, Human."



No comments:

Post a Comment