Saturday, August 31, 2013

Time and The Chew Bone





For three days running she watched Finnegan covet a new chew bone. Trotting around behind her, carrying it everywhere she went, he dropped it each time she sat down and snatched it back up each time she stood. She was always off to fetch another file folder or pad of paper or pen or her mind.
"Why don't you just gnaw at it?" she finally asked.
"I'm waiting."
"Waiting?"
"For you."
She hunkered down in front of him.
"Sorry kiddo, I'm not following you. What do I have to do with you chewing a bone?"
"I like to wait until you settle in with a good book. Then I know you aren't going anywhere for awhile. So I can dig in and just hang out with you. You've got your book, I've got my bone, and we're just living in the moment."
"You wait days for me to be able to stop and pick up a book so that you can enjoy your treat?"
"I can wait. We corgis are always patient when it comes to getting what we want."
She leaned over and gave the side of his face a soft caress. Time, it would seem, had an entirely different meaning for him than it did for her. Finnegan's clock was expansive; he had room to breathe and ponder, to sit within the tick-tock, tick-tock of the moment, knowing that his patience would bring him something meaningful.
She pondered time as a physical entity clothed in moving air, sunrise to sunset, past-present-future, tick-tock! And there it was, the realization that the seconds filling up her life shouldn't be overlooked as if they were only important in terms of minutes or hours. No. Each second was a breath, a blink, a smile. Each second actually comprised whole parts of her being, as it did his.
Patience had never failed to bring great gifts into her life before, so why had she forgotten that of late? The big brown eyes were pinned to her, expectant, shining, happy. And patient, always patient. He looked at her like she was his biggest gift. And then she understood. She was.
"My little Buddha Boy." She whispered.
"Oh! Siddhartha loved corgis! Did I ever tell you about the time...hey, hey where are you going?"
"To get a book."



No comments:

Post a Comment